1) Take off work. It’s even better if you take off work for the actual day and also the day after. SO has to do the same so that when you want something you get to say “but it’s my birthday!” and they’re required to do it.
2) Go ride your pony. When trainer does a double take and asks you why you’re there at 9:30am on a Tuesday, reply with gusto “It’s my BIRFDAY!!!! I don’t work on my BIRFDAY!!!”. Then he will laugh and offer you a free lesson as a birthday present. More details on the lesson in a minute.
3) Spend some time outside with the dogs. It really doesn’t matter if it’s 98 degrees, pack a picnic lunch, load up the dogs, and go for a hike. Even when it’s hot as balls Austin is still beautiful. Just bring a few dozen bottles of water.
4) Have Indian food for dinner. Because chicken tikka masala and stuffed naan. Boom.
5) Enjoy a brownie pull-apart cake and several Ace Berry ciders in the evening with good company.
I feel like I’ve finally mastered the art of How to Birthday.
As for the part everyone cares about, the lesson, I come bearing another diagram. The jumps are still set up the same, with the zig zag exercise, but we did it a little differently. First we did just the zig zag alone except started off the right lead, so it was right lead to the first jump in the zig zag, left turn rollback to the second, right turn rollback to the third, left turn rollback to the fourth, right turn rollback to the fifth.
Then we made a different course out of it.
It was just okay. Henry felt a little behind my leg and I still don’t really feel on my A game right now. I’m trying so hard to fix a lot of little things but only succeeding at about half of them at any one time, so I’m getting impatient with myself. I know it’ll come eventually but still frustrating. Very grateful for the surprise lesson anyway… the more we work on it, the better it’ll get.
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes on Instagram and fb! Today we’re off to an ice cream factory for a tour and free ice cream, to cap off the celebrations. Because that’s how it’s done.
Tomorrow: tack swap/sale! Hope you’re ready.