Alright, I’ll admit it. There’s one really random thing about horses that grosses me out.
First, to appropriately understand my level of tolerance, I have experienced all of the following and rarely so much as batted an eye:
– Been elbows deep in horse placenta.
– Stepped on a horse turd barefoot (never do night checks barefoot, people, even if it’s just a matter of down the stairs and into the aisle. An errant turd will find you.)
– Had mare pee splashed all over me.
– Wiped off foal scours with my bare hand.
– Cleaned a sheath without gloves.
– Been nailed all over the back of the head by dirty stall pickings when I got a little overenthusiastic with my speed while pulling a manure spreader (several times, because I just don’t learn).
– Had puss shoot ALL OVER MY FACE when cleaning a really gross shoulder/neck wound on a lesson horse.
– Been bled all over. A couple times. By both people and horses.
– Had horse hair in literally every single crevice and orifice of my person after days of body clipping several horses.
– Been sneezed on. With my mouth open.
– Had a staple from a bag of shavings go right through my finger
So really, I’d like to think I’m pretty hard to phase. What’s my kryptonite?
ERGOTS AND CHESTNUTS
Blech. Nasty. I cannot pick/trim these things to save my life without wanting to gag. Usually I ask someone else to do it, because in addition to not being able to trim them myself, I definitely can’t stand to even look at overgrown ones. Shudder.
Now that I’ve fessed up – anyone else out there with weird “gross out” things when it comes to the ponies?