The weekend started out with so much promise. I got an awesome package of new Mango Bay in the mail, had a nice gallop out in the field, and had a lovely happy hour at the barn on Friday night with food and drink and great company.
By Saturday morning it was still going well. Trainer has been working like crazy to get the property ready for the horse show next weekend so the arenas were perfectly dragged and watered and fresh jumps had been newly set. We always lesson on Sunday so I hacked in the ring then went and rode for a few minutes in the field before calling it a day and heading home for a day with the SO.
Then it rained 1.5″ overnight. The perfectly watered rings became perfectly swampy and all riding plans came skidding to a halt. Womp womp. So instead I headed to the store for some hair dye and we had a spa day! Henry’s previously sunbleached tail is now re-vamped and ready to go for the fall show season.
Since my weekend was so boring, here’s a bonus. Chasing the Dream gave us 10 more questions to follow up from Viva Carlos’ from last week!
1. If your horse was a person, who would they be? (you can generalize personality if you can’t think of someone).
Maybe Johnny Depp? He can be really broody or really funny, but he’s always eccentric. Plus versatile and intelligent.
2. What is one (or two…or five) piece(s) of equipment you CANNOT live without.
my CWD, for sure.
3. When did you start riding/ what discipline?
Started weekly lessons at 10, at an eventing/Pony Club barn.
4. Do you have a barn dog? If so, what breed?
two dogs – my JRT mix and SO’s GSD mix, but they don’t get to go to the barn very often. No horse sense. The JRT doesn’t stay out from underneath them and the GSD just tries to play with them.
5. Do you like doing stalls or nah?
I’ve worked at many barns in my life and mucked a hell of a lot of stalls. I don’t mind it but I’m appreciative of not having to do it on a regular basis.
6. What treat(s) does your horse go nuts over?
Basically anything except apples or hard/strongly flavored peppermints. He loves anything oat and molasses based the most.
7. If you’ve switched disciplines, why? If not, also why.
Several times. Sometimes you just need a change of pace.
8. What is your least favorite discipline and why (yeah, I ain’t afraid to be scandalous)?
Barrel racing, TWH gaited stuff and hunters (sorrynotsorry).
9. Who is currently your favorite rider?
Joe Fargis has always been my favorite.
10. What is your BIGGEST pet peeve regarding horses?
In horse people: Willful ignorance. Not putting the horse’s welfare first. Recklessness.
In horses: Bad manners and bad work ethic.